Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Run For My Money

I guess this isn't my "mom" week. Some weeks go by with a few hiccups and others make me want to crawl in a hole till the kids are grown adults w/ perfect lives (cause that is how it is going to turn out... right?!)

I am not sure exactly why I can't seem to be able to handle Landen. We didn't really ever have problems w/ the other two kids coloring on things that weren't paper, taking apart things that weren't toys, being super sneaky, painting the toilet w/ their toothbrushes etc... Does he not get enough attention? I am sure part of it he is trying to entertain himself. Part of it is the fact that he has an older brother training him to do things that he shouldn't. Another part is that there are two older kids who leave crayons, scissors and such around for Landen's convience (it was so much easier when it was just Bryce and I getting stuff out). I am sure a little bit bigger house with more space to hide from me doesn't help me not seeing every move that is made. Now the question is... what do I do about it all?

This morning I was in the kitchen for a minute trying to get the dough started for some rolls for the kids' teachers. Braxton and Landen have been fighting or being mischievious all morning. I am already a bit frustrated w/ them. I had Landen come downstairs w/ me so that Braxton could finish his chores w/out another distraction. Landen went into the living room and was quiet. I was grateful for the moment of peace. He usually goes in there and looks at a few of my books on the table... not today. Today he found out that our decorative pillows on the couch unzip and there is stuffing inside. I am not sure if he thought that the stuffing looked better all over the floor, if he was looking for a prize inside the pillow or what. I walked in after 2 minutes to check on him and found my floor covered in little bits of cotton. I should have taken a picture but it took all of my thoughts to keep self control. We stuffed it all back into the cushions and I am lucky it wasn't a hard mess to clean up but I have about had it!

I thought about sending the boys out back to play, but we have a sandbox and Landen LOVES to throw sand. He loves riding bikes in the front yard but doesn't understand to not stay out of the road or go clear down the street. So for now I let them turn on the tv and pray he will be content for 5 minutes.

I think that I have a curious kid, with lots of energy and a high intelligence to want to figure things out and see what happens to stuff if he stomps on it, throws it, eats it, etc... My right brained personality prefers total and complete order with perfect cleanliness. I guess in the afterlife I will get that but not till then!

I just needed to vent and reading this makes it not seem like such a big deal. Well, Landen is done watching tv (he lasted 3 minutes) so back to work.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate to say this, but it appears the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

Celeste said...

Oh Amie, that is no fun!! Sorry :(
I just have to say, you should be proud that you didn't lose it :)

Shannon said...

There is a really good reason that kids come especially cute. So that when you catch them in the act of being naughty and they look at you with those big, innocent eyes and round cheeks and beautiful smiles you immediately forgive the offense.

Oh Aimee! I must say you and I have something in common with our third-borns. My Dawson is giving me challenges that his older brothers hadn't thrown my way... naughty words, attitude at two, coloring on walls, throwing things, picking on innocent little girl cousins. I've wondered if I have done something wrong too. And then I realize, hey, this kid is being taught by boys that are nine and six! NO wonder! And it does feel good to vent, doesn't it? Hang in there!!!

The Shelley Family said...

Hang in there Amie :) It is a stage and he WILL grow out of it :)
I like your attitude that he is VERY SMART :)
If u ever have days like those...please pull up the pics of the day that Porter used shoe polish to decorate our wall...toilet etc.
Oh Crap...MAYBE PORTER taught him all those naughty things! lol
I agree with Celeste and Shannon.
The kids will never remember the PERFECTLY clean house...they will remember your reactions and the time u spend with them...and u do a GREAT job :)
It is hard when u have things to do..and the kids find things to do that UNDO what u just did!
Hang in there! Love Ya! ((HUGS))

Amie said...

Thanks for all of your encouragement! I really appreciate it!