Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sticks and stone will break my bones... and so will exercise weights


Our first broken bone goes to... (drumroll please)... ABBEY! The night we brought Mason home from the hospital Abbey was playing around with some exercise weights and dropped them on her ring finger of her right hand. They are little 3 lb weights that she was was transferring from her left hand to her right and it fell and broke her finger. We weren't sure if it was broken or not. The boys were running around all crazy, Bryce was gone to the pharmacy picking up some stuff for me and I was chatting with my mom for a minute in the dining room. She came up from the family room whipping her hand around and grabbed a bag of ice to put on it. I wasn't very sympathetic (which I feel so bad about now) and told her to ice it for a minute and chill out. Then she showed it to me and it was huge and swollen. She wouldn't bend it either. The next day it was still swollen and so we made an appointment. She couldn't use her fingers to play the piano but she gripped onto her motorcycle handlebars just fine. This morning we took her in when we took Mason for his checkup and the x-ray showed 2 fractures between her middle and top knuckle. It was definitely broken! Luckily it was one of the best breaks possible and she is supposed to take it easy for several weeks but then she will be back to full speed soon. Our most mellow and cautious kid is the first to have a broken bone! Who would have thought???

4 comments:

Celeste said...

Ouch!!! I hope it starts feeling better soon. That is crazy she was the first one to break her finger :)

Stephanie said...

Oh no! Is she able to write? Good thing it's Spring Break this week!! Ouch!

meacham said...

I just bruised my finger nail on March 24th and I still have a black nail
Hope u get better soon.

The Shelley Family said...

OUCH! Poor Abbey! I hope her finger feels better soon! That hurts SO bad! U are a cutie pie Abbey! I love YOU!