Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Life As I Know It...

I never could have imagined how hard it would be to be a mother. It is the most emotional, physical and mentally challenging thing I have ever done. One of the hardest things so far is watching the kids get frustrated at challenges they face and to know that they have to learn to do it themselves cause me doing it for them isn't going to help them in their life.

Abbey is learning to play the piano. She likes to do it her way... need I say more? She is doing well and it is fun to see her get excited when she masters a song. It has been hard to keep my patience as she makes a million mistakes and I just have to sit at the keys myself to remind me that it is easier to sit and criticize than to play. Another few months and she will probably pass up my level!

Braxton is relearning how to tie his shoes. He had it down well at the beginning of the school year and wasn't forced to practice so he forgot. We are working on that again and boy is this a tough one! For some reason he likes to wrap the laces "backwards" from the way that I do it and it is hard to get on the same page. He gets frustrated very quickly with anything he doesn't master right away. (Sounds a lot like his mother!)

Landen is anything but interested in potty training. He has found a hobby that he likes that has been a mental life saver for me! Landen loves Braxton's "super hero" guys and the castle that goes with them. He also loves to play with little dinosaurs and will play by himself for over 2 hours without losing interest. The ONLY catch though is that he likes to play by HIMSELF. If Braxton even walks close to him a screaming fit ensues like his arm was chopped off. I tried to sit down with them yesterday to teach them how to play together. It went well till I got up and left and then it was back to fits and fighting.

Some days I wonder if I am going to survive the zoo around here and especially as we add a baby to it all. I mostly post this though cause I am assuming that parenting is only going to get more complicated as the kids get older and I will look back at these little frustrations and wish I could have them back!

I am totally aware that I have 3 fantastic kids who really try hard to choose the right and are full of love and smiles. Hopefully this 4th one will come as healthy as the other three have. Just 7 weeks left till my due date!

2 comments:

The Shelley Family said...

((hugs))
i love that u took the time to document these everyday "struggles" of motherhood :)
you are an awesome mom!
i always think i handle the "big" things better than i handle the "little" things.
i think it is key to not set our expectations too high for kids because it adds to our frustration.
hang in there Amie! i really really really do love that u took the time to write this stuff down! i didnt see it as a negative post at all! just stating whats goin on in your household! there are NO perfect kids...and NO perfect parents out there...otherwise they wouldnt need to be here on this earth. love u guys ALOT!

Amie said...

Thanks for your support and vote of confidence! What would I do without sisters???