Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Strategies

My life is full of them. I am constantly trying to figure out the best and fastest way to get things to work in my favor. Some of my strategies from this morning-

*First and my most important one--keep a positive energy going. The more I show appreciation or compliment on what a good job the kids are doing on something- the more likely they are to continue to keep up working and generally faster and more self-motivated than they were before. They love to "surprise" me and have stuff done that I wouldn't have expected to be finished yet. Surprise away!!! :)

*To avoid a meltdown from Landen and a mess from Mason- all three of us brush our teeth at the same exact time and we all do it in my bathroom. I have moved their toothbrushes and toothpaste right into my cabinet to save me the hassle of fetching them each morning.

*I also have to set the timer on my phone for 2 minutes so that Landen doesn't day dream all morning while brushing and when the timer goes off it automatically signals to him that it is time for me to brush his teeth (we call it finishing his teeth.) This usually avoids another meltdown.

*Putting clean laundry away is tricky. Abbey and Braxton are self-motivated on this one now but Landen isn't. He can't race the older kids cause they smoke him every time and meltdowns ensue.. SO.... he races me. I get to put away my laundry, Bryce's laundry and Mason's laundry while Landen does his. This usually works out quite well. If for some reason I had to already get mine done we have alternative #2- counting. Landen LOVES it when I say, "On your mark, get set, GO!" and then I start counting to whatever number he has chosen. He thinks he is SO tricky cause he will start putting away whatever pile he has chosen as I start to say, "On your mark..." **We can only choose one pile at a time to put away--like pants, or underwear--or it is just too much for him to process and handle. Then we choose another pile and start the whole process over again. Some days I feel so annoyed to do the whole song and dance and think that he should just get his stuff put away but I have to stuff those thoughts back down into some black whole and just be grateful that we have a strategy that usually ends with smiles and the job well done!

*The grocery store. Strategy- go during preschool (only have Mason). Go on days I drive for preschool so that we are already in the car and can easily head over to the store. If going to walmart- park on the pharmacy side - we have to avoid the produce section at all cost till the end of the shopping trip. Try to have my list in order along with coupons I want to use. The faster I get through the store the happier Mason and I both are. Hand items to Mason and let him throw them into the basket of the cart. Be careful to not let him linger with the items or he will rip them open and try to eat whatever it is, shampoo and all. Avoid the treat isle all together--best for both of us! And finally we pick up our produce and make sure bananas, grapes or apples are put into the cart last and hopefully in a spot he can't see them. If he does see it, Mason holds on to a bunch of bananas and we head straight to the check out. Mason is a ticking time bomb cause there is only so long he can stand to see fruit and not be eating it. He did quite well today at the store but there have been a few times I haven't followed my game plan very well and for the sake of me and the other 100 shoppers around us, we purchase a banana at the beginning of our trip and he eats it as we all shop in peace.

One last strategy and I am speaking for Bryce on this one-- make ME think it is MY idea and I am happy to do it--no matter what it is! :) He has me figured out so well! No wonder he goes on so many dirt bike rides! ;)

No comments: