Sunday, January 25, 2009

Stake Conference

We just had Stake Conference this weekend and now I have a list of things to put into action. Normally I go and listen to the talks and think, "Wow, that was great and then do my same old stuff." This time in conference the stake president recalled an experiment that he did. (Please note that the retelling of this story is from my memory. I should have taken better notes but Landen was a handful the last hour of conference!) He asked random people in the stake what challenge we had been given recently by one of the first Presidency. Out of all the people that he asked only 2 could give him one out of the 2 things that they had challenged us. I couldn't even remember what President Ridge was talking about so I had no idea either. Then he pointed out this fact, "How can we be doing what the prophets say if we don't even remember what they have asked us to do!" That hit me hard. I have made a resolve to try to take notes of the things that are said and put those into action. It seems overwhelming when I am already struggling to keep up with what I remember that I am supposed to be doing and now I need to add in more.... I can do it with the Lord's help.

Just an FYI- one of the two things that we were challenged to do was to pray that countries that aren't allowing the Gospel to be taught will soften and let the church in. I wonder what kind of political / economical impact that could/would have on us????

Couple other things that stuck out to me:

Paying tithing: "The Lord will provide for our need, not our greed."
Also- "If we pay our tithing, Satan will be rebuked for our sakes.

Ministring Angels: They are both Heavenly and mortal. Are we in tune so that we can help be a ministring angel to someone? A story was shared about someone who was in tune enough to give some words of advice and comfort that mended a family. Just goes to show you that it doesn't have to be large thing to make an incredible difference.

Anyway- Just a few thoughts and I think since I have written them down that it will help me to make them actions in my life!

3 comments:

The Shelley Family said...

Amie...you already do ALL of those things...think of all the times you watch kids for a new mom...take a meal..give a shoulder to cry on...listen to a sister vent/laugh/cry....visit a lonely soul...
All of that means you are already an Angel....

Shannon said...

Thank you for the sweet reminder. That is part of what I love, rather than being chastised, we are reminded to step up.

You are so good, Aimee.

Cheri' said...

What a great reminder if we can't do what the prophet has asked, how can we do what our local leaders are asking. We just had Sister Beck visit and she had some great advice and pointers for moms. A funny thing she said is that 3 year olds destroy $10 worth of stuff a day. We all laughed at that one!